What Happens if Testosterone Is High In Males?
Testosterone is an important hormone in males and is responsible for many body functions. It is rare to find males who have high testosterone levels.
The most common occurrence of testosterone imbalance is when the levels are too low and not too high. The main cause of high testosterone is testosterone replacement therapy and the long term effects of anabolic steroids.
When a man has high testosterone, he develops these symptoms:
- Acne or oily skin
- Prostate swelling
- Breast enlargement because the excess testosterone is converted to the female hormone estrogen
- Worsening of sleep apnea, a condition that causes difficulty in breathing while sleeping
- Fluid retention
- Decreased testicle size also because the excess testosterone is converted into estrogen
- Decrease in the sperm count
- Increase in the amount of red blood cells in the body
- Mood swings
High testosterone levels can be treated through the avoidance of testosterone replacement therapy unless you really need it. If there is no good reason for you to be on testosterone replacement therapy, then you should not go for it since it will have negative effects on your body.
Sometimes, treating low testosterone with testosterone replacement therapy ends up causing excess testosterone in the body which is also not good. If you want to treat low testosterone, a lifestyle change along with proper testosterone replacement therapy will help.